I can honestly say that I the 5 days spent with Sonja and Hano and the other riders were a highlight of my cycling adventures and I have had many. I have been lucky enough to ride across the country in bike races such as Cape Pioneer, Epic, Joburg2c, Sani2c, Dr Evil Classic and some local Gauteng rides as well as various tours, but this was truly special.
Firstly, I think the people that Hano and Sonja are, they attract great people – the other riders. And the amount of time they spend in the preparation is very evident on the tour. This includes months of scouting the best routes and unique accommodation across the country, and also in the small little things that go a long way after you have been on your bike for 3 hours. I felt like I was on an adventure following directions accurate to the metre. The scenery was amazing, and the course challenging enough for the seasoned rider but not overwhelming for the more social rider. And the afternoons off the bike were so much fun, as we enjoyed gorgeous wine and food each evening. I am not easily surprised as have relatively high expectations but a couple of moments I remember (and I don’t want to spoil it for those that want to go), include riding through a game farm and up a hill to see an oasis of green grass and tranquil scenery, meeting some interesting characters on a macadamia nut farm, one of the most beautiful lodges on the banks of the Olifants River and swimming in a natural pool (next time I will skinny dip). And all this while I upped my fitness on some great training rides.
I would recommend this to anyone who wants a cycling holiday with a difference. You can ride at your own pace, and enjoy some luxuries and experieces you could never create yourselves. I would highly recommend this, and will be back…but for the 3 day!
Thanks Sonja, Hano, Janine and the rest of the riding crew. What a magic 5 days!
Whether you are a fair weather cyclist or a hard core Epic rider the 5 day Trans Outeniqua is for you! The ride is beautiful and scenic and the set up allows you to ride as fast or slow as you like. I was training for the upcoming Joberg2c and found each days route perfect training with 60-80km of consecutive days riding and decent climbing. Trisport is very well organized and have thought of everything to make the tour personal and fun. With beautiful guest lodges, no shortage of good food and wine and ever entertaining dinner conversation and laughs. Its excellent value for money and I will definitely be joining them for another adventure.
I started regular MTB riding about two years ago, mainly as a fun and safe way to exercise with an old knee injury, but also for the peace and quiet out on track. I have done a few day races in Gauteng, but only completed one multi-day (3-day) race before the Transouteniqua. I thought it was time to do a longer race and I needed to build more strength – hence the decision to do the 5 day Transouteniqua race (also to get away from the office for a week).
I had no idea what to expect and first met the riding group and organisers at 7:00 on the morning of the start. Sonja and Hano immediately made everyone feel at ease and we received detailed race directions (which turned out to be absolutely accurate). My impressions of the event:
– The advantage of a smaller riding group (only 5 for this event), is that one gets to know the other riders (and organisers), so the general vibe is more relaxed. Everyone can ride at their own pace, whether training for a race or for fun.
– The race directions were spot-on, clearly done by people riding the route. None of the typical over or under estimate of distances I found in the day events
– One of the organisers (Sonja or Hano) rode with us each day and kept pace with the last rider (which was me for a few days). No pressure on the rider from their side and they were very patient with my photo stops. In other words it was a fun ride for the last guys too, while the front guys could ride at their own pace.
– The route was perfect for my level of riding – not too long and we finished most days around lunch time. That left enough time to recover for the next day and go for a walk around the area.
– There is a fair amount of climbing on the route, which is to be expected, but the road conditions are good with little traffic. Crossing 3 mountain ranges with great scenery.
– Water points were well stocked with all sorts of munchies, water and ice. In our group we had strong riders and average ones, but all could be accommodated by being flexible with the water points
– Accommodation was good throughout, all in beautiful settings
– Meals were excellent, clearly organised by riders, knowing that there are hungry people to be fed shortly after finishing the ride
– Company was excellent too and thanks to the other riders for the advice and good conversation (Kowie, Danielle, Patsy and Nina)
Allround a well organised and enjoyable event, that I would recommend for any reasonably fit rider. Either as a training event for a multi-day race or as a next step for a beginner like me. Average of 68 km with 1010 m of climbing per day (but keep in mind there are mountains involved).
Finally, thanks to Sonja and Hano for making this such a nice event, not only the professional organisation but the friendly and relaxed way in which everything was done!
I love having fun, spending time outdoors, meeting new like-minded people and being treated like a queen. This 5 day Trans Outeniqua mtb tour was exactly that.
Beautiful scenery, hills to climb and smiles all around even when it’s tough, hot and dry out there. Amazing how when nearing each stop I am excited to check out all the lovely snacks and drinks and of course indulge even if not entirely necessary. Due to ill health, I could not cycle, but was still made to feel part of the team and loved being part of the support crew.
I was pleasantly surprised to find our accommodation excellent and meals divine . Definitely a tour to put on your bucket list, but make sure you are fit.
I will most certainly be following Trisport to check out all their exciting events and seeing where I can possibly be part of the crew. The diving event seems especially enticing.
Thanks to all at Trisport for a really great all round experience
-Danielle de Kock