Now you have the opportunity to join Trisport and the well experience and qualified local guides of the Drakensberg to do an amazing Slackpack hike from one beautiful hotel to the next hotel via the Drakensberg mountains.
The spectacular Drakensberg mountains took their rightful place on the international tourism stage when the 243,000 hectare uKhahlamba Drakensberg Park was proclaimed a UNESCO World Heritage Site on 29 November 2000.
In addition to recognising the unique natural beauty of the Drakensberg, the World Heritage Site title also focuses world attention on the mountain park’s rich collection of rock art, the last visible signs of the San Peoples.
With an abundance of birds and plants, as well as some of the worlds’ most stunning scenery and rock art, the uKhahlamba Drakensberg Park is one of South Africa’s premier tourist attractions and holiday destinations.
4 days/5 nights fully catered slackpacking hike
4 days of hiking (5 nights accommodation) in the most beautiful parts of the Central Drakensberg.
Experience the Drakensberg when you hike around or to the top of Cathedral Peak (optional). Slackpack Hike from 1 hotel to the next via the mountains and sleep on the mountain 1 night while we prepare your food, pitch your tent and you just relax and enjoy the scenery and tranquillity of the mountains.
Hike around Cathedral Peak on a non commercial circular route with the most amazing views!Hike to Cathedral Peak (optional) and summit one of the highest peaks in the area.
All hikes will be guided with Qualified local guides.
Grading: If you choose to do the high peaks it is strenuous and you must be hiking fit please, but if you choose the lower peaks and shorter hikes it will be moderate.
16 to 21 March 2023
12 to 17 Nov 2023
Both dates are on the entry form. Please choose your date
R13 900 pp Sharing
R15 900 pp Single
Optional hike to Cathedral Peak (3100m): R700 pp
Limit to 30 people
Start Venue: Cathedral Peak hotel, close to Winterton
Drakensberg Slackpack Trail Hike includes:
– Unforgettable hiking in the scenic Drakensberg
– 5 nights Accommodation and all Meals
– 2 Days of Slackpack hiking over the mountains from Cathedral Peak to Champagne Castel Hotel
– Transport of all the food, tents, utensils when hiking over the mountains, all you carry is your overnight clothes and sleeping bag or hire a porter at a minimal fees
– All meals when hiking from 1 Hotel to the other over the 2 days
– Preparing of meals on the mountain
– Pitching of tents
– Permissions and permits from Parksboard to hike on the pristine Trails
– Qualified Guides
– Transport of your bags to Champagne Caste (finishing point)
– Transfer by taxi from Champagne Caste to Cathedral Peak
– Safe parking or your car at the hotel
– Payment of guides for hiking routes, except for the summit of Cathedral Peak (optional)
– Medical and emergency services on standby
– Generosity and great atmosphere
Does not include:
– Alcohol drinks on route, please bring your own, we will keep it cold
– Parks board entry fees per day of R50, or bring your rhino card
– Getting to Cathedral Peak hotel
– If you choose to do Cathedral Peak (optional) – R700 extra pp
– Tips to guides
Compulsory Equipment (for your own safety):
As a precaution, we would like you to carry the following compulsory equipment with you. It is for your own personal safety. Please adhere to the following:
-Cell phone (on roaming please), zip lock bag to keep phone dry
-Long Thermal base layer (pants and top)
-Headlamp with enough spare batteries
-Sunscreen (factor 50)
-Outer shell jacket (waterproof)
-First aid kit
Please ensure that you have the compulsory equipment with you at all times as conditions change quickly up in the mountains.
15H00: Arrive at Cathedral Peak hotel
08H00 Do a nice easy circular route of 10km to warm up for the next day’s hike
6H00: Hike to Cathedral Peak 3100m, breakfast and lunch on the way
8H00 Hike a great circular non commercial route from the hotel
15H00 High Tea
8H00: Start the hike via the mountains to Champagne Caste hotel, lunch on the way, camp half way at 24km, dinner etc
8H00 Finish the final leg (24km) to Champagne Caste hotel, lunch on the way. Arrive at the hotel and check in. Your bags will be transported by us and waiting for you at Champagne Castel hotel
7H00 Breakfast and transport back to Cathedral Peak hotel by taxis where your car will be waiting and it is time to say Good bye
For more information contact Sonja : firstname.lastname@example.org
Enter / Register March 2023
Enter / Register Nov 2023
Entrants wanting to cancel will forfeit the following part of their entry fee:
10% will be kept back on the amount paid if you cancel after you register
50% of the entry fee paid will be refunded if written notice is received 6 months before the start date
No refunds will be done from 2 months before the start date
PLEASE MAKE SURE YOUR TRAVEL INSURANCE COVER ANY INJURIES, ILLNESS OR CANCELLATIONS FOR ANY REASONS SUCH AS AN PANDEMIC, TERRORISM, FORCE MAJEUR.